Siri. The intelligent assistant that helps you get things done. All you have to do is ask.
Now you can use your voice to use your iPhone. Just talk to Siri as you would to a person: "Do I need an umbrella?" or "Any great burgers around here?" or "Where's the closest ATM?" Siri not only understands what you say, it knows what you mean.1 It figures out the right apps to use to find the right answer. Then, just like a personal assistant, it answers you. Siri makes phone calls, sends messages, schedules meetings, sets reminders, and more. How much more? Just ask, and Siri tells you that, too
Dual-core A5 chip. The most powerful iPhone processor ever.
Two cores in the A5 chip deliver up to two times more power and up to seven times faster graphics.2 And you'll feel the effects. Fast. iPhone 4S is quick and responsive, which makes all the difference when you're launching apps, browsing the web, gaming, and doing just about everything. And no matter what you're doing, you can keep on doing it. Because the A5 chip is so power-efficient, iPhone 4S has outstanding battery life.
The you-can't-believe-it's-on-a-phone camera.
This just might be the best camera ever on a phone. And with all-new optics, it just might be the only camera you need. Because behind every shot, you've got 8-megapixel resolution and a custom lens with a larger f/2.4 aperture. Not to mention an improved backside illumination sensor, excellent auto white balance, advanced color accuracy, face detection, and reduced motion blur. It all means that no matter how many people, how much light, and how much action you capture, everything looks exactly as it should. And just wait until you see the photos.
The iPhone 4S camera gives you 8 megapixels & that's 60 percent more pixels than the camera on iPhone 4. And they're engineered with a higher, full-well capacity to collect even more light. With more megapixels and more light, you'll see a dramatic difference in the resolution and details of your images.
Video recording. In 1080p amazing HD.
Shoot stunning 1080p HD video everywhere you go. With all-new optics, the light is always right, the color is always vivid, and everything will look even better than you remember. Video stabilization steadies shaky shots. And you can edit video right on iPhone and share your lush life as fast as you shoot.
Record amazing 1080p HD video at 30 frames per second. The advanced backside illumination sensor and larger aperture let in even more light. Improved auto white balance makes color even more accurate. And temporal noise reduction helps you take great videos in low light.
iOS. The world's most advanced mobile operating system. And the easiest to use.
With every iOS advancement come even easier ways to do everything. That's what makes iOS years ahead of anything else. iOS 5 leaps even further ahead, bringing over 200 new features to iPhone 4S. Here are just a few of our favorites.
iCloud. Your content. On all your devices.
iCloud is the easiest way to manage all your stuff, because it manages it all for you. iCloud stores your music, photos, apps, mail, contacts, calendars, documents, and more. And wirelessly pushes them to all your devices. It's automatic, effortless, and seamless. And it just works.4
With iCloud, the music you buy in iTunes appears automatically on all your devices. You can also download your past iTunes purchases. So your music collection goes where you go.
Retina display. Clearly remarkable.
The sharpest, most vibrant thing you'll see on iPhone 4S is everything. The Retina display is the highest-resolution phone screen ever. In fact, the pixel density is so high that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels. But without a doubt, you'll notice crisp text, sharp graphics, and stunning images. It's more remarkable than the printed page. And you'll be completely absorbed.
FaceTime. It's even better face-to-face.
FaceTime lets you hear a voice and see the face that goes with it & iPhone to iPhone, iPad 2, iPod touch, or Mac over Wi-Fi.5 So no matter where they are, no matter where you are, you'll always be there. Making a FaceTime call is just as easy as making a phone call. And it's even easier with Siri. Just tell Siri "FaceTime with Mom" and you show up, smile, and wave hello. You'll never miss a big event, an important meeting, or a good laugh. And who wouldn't be happy to see your face?
AirPlay. From the small screen to the big screen.
With AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream what's on your iPhone to your HDTV and speakers via Apple TV.6 And with AirPlay Mirroring, whatever you see and do on your iPhone appears on your HDTV at the same time.
AirPrint. Print everything wirelessly.
Print your email, photos, web pages, and documents right from your iPhone over Wi-Fi.7 There's no software to download, no drivers to install, and no cables to connect. With just a few taps, you can go from viewing something on the iPhone screen to holding a printed copy.
Call it better, faster, and even more worldly.
iPhone 4S is the first phone to intelligently switch between two antennas to transmit and receive, so call quality is better. It also doubles the maximum HSDPA data speeds to 14.4 Mbps.8 Which means faster connections, faster loading and reloading, and faster downloads. And iPhone 4S is a world phone, so you can use it almost anywhere. Whether you're a GSM or CDMA customer, you can roam GSM networks in 200 countries around the world.
Built-in apps. They do just about everything. So you can, too.
You'll do everyday things in extraordinary ways on iPhone 4S. Take amazing photos and shoot HD video. See your friends and family with FaceTime. Browse the web on the Retina display. Check email. Send messages. Set reminders. Check calendars. Or just ask Siri to help you get things done & it figures out the right apps to use.
Apple iPhone 4S Specifications
3G and Wireless
- World phone
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz);
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)3
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
- Assisted GPS
- Digital compass
- Retina display
- 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 960x640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
Camera, Photos and Video
- 8-megapixel camera
- Tap to focus
- Face detection in still images
- LED flash
- Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- Video stabilisation
- Front camera with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second
- Photo and video geotagging
Power and Battery
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
- Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
- Standby time: Up to 200 hours
- Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
- Video playback: Up to 10 hours
- Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and Video
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p
- Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
- Video out support at 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
- Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640x480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280x720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Impedance: 32 ohms
Mail Attachment Support
Viewable Document Types
.jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)
- Three-axis gyro
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- Apple ID (required for some features)
- Internet access5
- Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
- Mac: OS X v10.5.8 or later
- PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
- iTunes 10.5 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/uk/download)
- Operating temperature: 0° to 35° C (32° to 95° F)
- Non-operating temperature: -20° to 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Maximum operating altitude: 3,000 metres (10,000 feet)
In the Box
- iPhone 4S
- Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic
- Dock Connector to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter